Barrel Aged Spirit Thief Whisky Coffee Experiment #1
What's this all about you ask?
... well we don't really know! We are trying out an experiment/myth/trial with a friend of ours (we will call him Tom). Tom gave (well lent) us this new whisky barrel he acquired from Spirit Thief. This barrel 086 has produced an American Oak Tempranillo (AOT) at cask strength from Spirit Thief, a small whisky producer in Tasmania. We have now filled it with one of our speciality single origin coffees and now waiting to see what it does or doesn't do! If the aroma we get from the barrel is anything to go by, we can't wait for the next weeks or months to see what the results are. We will keep you posted and updates will appear here.
There's no escaping this thief! Our barrel aged 'experimental' coffee #1 has surprised us all. Oozing with a rum and raisin chocolate aroma, the smell is amazing and has been achieved by the time it's already spent in the American Tempranillo Oak barrel from Spirit Thief Distillery in Tasmania. You get an appreciation of how the barrel has influenced the coffee as soon as you open the bag.
- 26/10/2021 - Barrel delivered by 'Tom' and filled with a speciality single origin arabica from Brazil.
- 28/10/2021 - We couldn't wait, had a sneak peek (smell) with a wonderful Pffft when we popped the cork. Wow :-)
- 03/11/2021 - First sample as an espresso. Hmmm
- 05/11/2021 - Surprising us all. Progressing quite well. When we removed a test sample, the beans are starting to take on the flavour of the Spirit Thief in the cup. No doubt the sealed barrel plays a big part.
- 9/11/2021 - Run & Raisin Chocolate - as soon as you put the beans into a cup. 2 weeks in and it is amazing. As a pourover, it took 10 seconds to get the whisky flavour (albeit slight). Aroma incredible.
- 10/11/21 - All bags released for sale 36 yield.
- 11/11/21 - SOLD OUT!